Friday, March 20, 2009

911 to the ISS?


We were visiting grandkids in Houston a few years back, so naturally we made the required pilgrimadge to the SpaceCenter and being a good tourists took a tour.


The tour included the assembly building for the 7 crewperson rescue boat, in anticipation of putting more than a janitor crew of three astronauts aboard at a time, as that was all Soyuz could accommodate as a rescue vehicle.
The designation was the X-38 Crew Return Vehicle, I think.


If my memory serves me, and it usually doesn't, Bush killed that project to free up funds to return to the moon in a souped up Ap0ll0 type craft.

Now I hear with the new truss installed yesterday, we have enough power to crew up to six.
I got to wondering. If somethiing bad happens, how do we get them down? The shuttle retires next year.

Anybody know?














No comments:

Post a Comment