Saturday, June 13, 2009

Crosswords Puzzle Me


My wife loves to do the New York Times crossword puzzles and is really good at solving them. Me? I am about as good with crosswords as I am at Scrabble® and I’m pretty bad at that.

I got to wondering who invented this humbling game and how far people take the playing of crosswords.

The crossword puzzle first appeared in 19th century England. In 1913 Arthur Wynne created the first crossword to be published in a newspaper, the Sunday New York World.

Here is a link to the first published crossword puzzle and a link to the solution.

Crossword puzzle solvers even go so far as to have a tournament in Brooklyn, New York. The 33rd Annual American Crossword Puzzle Tournament will be held in 2010. Grand prize is $5000.

If you’d like to try your hand there are a number of crosswords available online.

Me? I’ll stick to Monopoly®

No comments:

Post a Comment