Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Remember When



Reading time about 35 seconds

I have finally reached the age of retirement. Frankly I never thought I’d make it.

It is interesting to look back at what my grandparents thought of as amazing. The airplane, telephones and TV for instance. They were from French Canada, Quebec to the rest of us and spoke no English when they arrived. They attended night school to learn English and did their best to fit in. Their heavy Quebecoise accent made that hard.

My grandmother was among the first to buy on the installment plan and had one of the first TV sets on her street. I was 10 before I saw it. We lived in Key West, Florida where there was no TV reception yet. I have to admit it was love at first sight. I sat mesmerized before the fuzzy black and white image of Crusader Rabbit and his faithful sidekick Rags the Tiger. Love of television or anything with a screen must be instinctive for kids.

My grandparents knew nothing of computers, color TV, cell phones, iPods or spaceflight. These all came about during my lifetime. I like them told an unimpressed grandchild about all the things we did not have as children.

I can’t even imagine what she in turn will tell her grandchildren about the technologies that did not exist when she was young.

They, like you, will probably be unimpressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment